Title: Silky Smooth
Author: A.M. Arthur
Series: Bold Brew #6
Genre: Contemporary LGBTQ
“I guess we’re just two damaged souls looking for a friend, huh?
College drop-out Nicholas Cannon lives his life by a strict routine and a lost parrot is not part of that routine, but he can’t leave to fend for himself. When its owner finally shows up, Nicolas finds himself attracted to him but worries he will not be able to be himself around him.
This was a very sweet romance. Both Alex and Nicolas are struggling to put themselves back together after traumatic experiences. These two were just two broken people who learn to live again with the help of each other. Also I adored Alex’s emotional support parrot, Cal. She was an adorable addition to the story and I loved that she spoke and gave kisses.
My only regret is that we don’t get Alex’s POV in this story. Its all told from Nicolas POV and while it worked beautifully, I would have liked to have seen some of these scenes from Alex’s POV. Overall, this was a great slow building relationship with low angst but a lot of emotion.
- Alex’s husband was abusive (not described). Alex has a panic attack during a triggering event.
- Nicolas stepfather is abusive and homophobic. He has hit Nicolas in the past and one time during this story.
- Nicolas was bullied and harassed causing him to drop out of college.
Previous books and reviews for the series:
- Cup of Joe by Annabeth Albert
- Puppuccino by Allison Temple
- Perfect Matcha by Erin McLellan
- Vanilla Steamer by Crystal Lacy
- Order Up by Wendy Qualls