Title: Shards of Hope
Author: Nalini Singh
Series: Psy-Changeling #14
Date Read: 2018, August 3, 2020
This is the fourteenth book in the series and while the overall worldbuilding was fascinating, the couple was just ok. After reading the last few books I had been eager to start Aden’s book thinking it would be like the previous ones, filled with passion and romance. However that isn’t what this book was for me.
Aden has been the quiet and unassuming leader of the Arrows but we have only seen a tiny bit of what he can do. I liked Aden but at the same time he didn’t have much of a personality. His whole character was focused on the Arrows and Zaria that I never felt that the true Aden was revealed. His abilities were fascinating but we barely got to see them which was disappointing.
Zaria wasn’t my favorite. She frequently goes on about how broken she is. This got old very quickly for me and made the book feel very long. Also she was obsessed with Aden to the point of getting blackout angry at other people touching him. I feel very uncomfortable about this because I know a lot of readers would see this differently if it had been Aden who was obsessive.
The book focuses on a lot of the politics going on between the races and the continued disruption of the fall of Silence. This got to be a little boring at times but some of it was really enjoyable and I like where the overall plot is going. I also loved the RainFaire pack and hope we see more of them in the future, maybe a novella?? While not my favorite, I still enjoyed this book and am excited to start the next one, especially after the ending with the establishment of the Trinity Accord.
- Child Abuse (referenced)
Previous books in the series:
- Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1)
- Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling #2)
- Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changeling #3)
- Stroke of Enticement (Psy-Changeling #3.5)
- Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling #4)
- Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling #5)
- Branded by Fire (Psy-Changeling #6)
- Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling #7)
- Bonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling #8)
- Play of Passion (Psy-Changeling #9)
- Declaration of Courtship (Psy-Changeling #9.5)
- Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling #10)
- Wild Invitation (Psy-Changeling #0.5, 3.5, 9.5, 10.5)
- Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling #11)
- Heart of Obsidian (Psy-Changeling #12)
- Wild Embrace (Psy-Changeling #2.5, 5.5, 11.5, 12.25)
- Shield of Winter (Psy-Changeling #13)